Tech for Good takes center stage on final day of INCLUSION Fintech Conference
Sep 26, 2020
Ant Group Executive Chairman Eric Jing takes the stage at the Global Fintech and Green Finance Innovation Forum on Day Three of the INCLUSION Fintech Conference
Shanghai, 26 September 2020 – Ant Group’s inaugural INCLUSION Fintech Conference commenced its third and final day with a focus on how digital technology can transform adversity and disruption into an opportunity to build a greener and more sustainable world.
At the Global Fintech and Green Finance Innovation Forum:
- Eric Jing, Executive Chairman of Ant Group, talked about advancements brought by Alipay Ant Forest, which received the UN Champions of the Earth award for inspiring green lifestyles among users. He further envisioned new forms of green finance and services powered by innovation and technology, such as green loans, AI-powered recycling, as well as sustainable consumption and business operations.
- “Fintech has become the core driver of the development of the digital economy,” said Eric. “Digital technologies can play an invaluable role in improving the efficiency and sustainability of financial services, reducing operating costs, and enhancing mutual trust among multiple parties.”
At the Technology and Social Good Forum:
- Sabrina Peng, Ant Group’s President of Social Good and Green Development, said, “Ant Group firmly believes digital technologies can invigorate green finance and enable a new form of philanthropy that is inclusive, accessible, and beneficial to all.”
Other key highlights from the third day of the INCLUSION Fintech Conference include:
- Deborah Lehr, Director of the Paulson Institute, observed that the COVID-19 pandemic has brought increased awareness of the human impact of the environment, and that this is a historic opportunity to reset and further accelerate the move towards green finance. Ms. Lehr stressed that fintech can play a pivotal role in addressing the scaling of green finance as well as engaging more micro-, small-, and medium-sized enterprises and working with them on becoming more sustainable.
- Marianne Haahr, Director of the Green Digital Finance Alliance (GDFA), discussed different ways in which fintech companies in Europe and across the globe are leveraging digital technologies to encourage more sustainable, environmentally friendly activities, from digital wallets that track carbon footprints to biodiversity-linked bank loans.
- Simon Zadek, Head of the Secretariat of the UN Secretary General’s Task Force on Digital Financing of the Sustainable Development Goals, highlighted the role fintech can play in creating digital financial instruments capable of delivering both security and liquidity. He observed that digital technologies, such as blockchain, can dramatically increase transparency and accountability, as well as enable citizens to gradually transition from savers to investors.
- Alzbeta Klein, Director and Global Head of Climate Business, International Finance Corporation (IFC), highlighted the invaluable role fintech plays in driving innovation and financial inclusion. Ms. Klein pointed out that fintech allows millions of customers who otherwise would have limited or no access to financial services, not only to participate in the financial world of today, but also the opportunity to embrace a low-carbon lifestyle.
During the conference, Ant Group also signed comprehensive strategic cooperation agreements with Shanghai Pudong Development Bank and Shanghai Port Group, partnerships aimed at accelerating synergies and the adoption of fintech in areas ranging from digital banking to smart ports.
About the INCLUSION Fintech Conference
The INCLUSION Fintech Conference was officially announced in January 2020 to bring together the global financial and technology communities, to envision a world that is more inclusive, green, and sustainable through digital technology. The inaugural three-day conference in Shanghai held on September 24-26, 2020, featured over 40 forums, with keynotes and panels covering major themes such as the global digital economy, digital finance, innovative technology, and sustainability.